Week of Chocolate ends with Chocolate Prom

Chocolate Prom

The Week of Chocolate culminated Friday as kids of all ages attended the Chocolate Prom — a night of dancing and, of course, chocolate.

“C’mon everybody! Get up and dance!” shouted Jes Franco, lead singer of the Vallures, as her band performed at Rhino’s All Ages Club.

The Vallures sang their own renditions of 1960s songs while everybody on the dance floor moved and swayed to the music.

“We’ve had a really great turnout this year,” said David Britton, assistant director of Rhino’s Youth Center. “There are always a lot of people that show up for Chocolate Prom, but I’m really impressed with everybody this year.”

The dance was to benefit Rhino’s Youth Center, an organization that aims to provide entertainment for teenagers in a safe environment.

Along the side of the room was a table laden with varieties of chocolate. Attendees running by would occasionally help themselves before turning back to the dance floor.
A giant pot of chocolate bubbled in the center of the table, available for everyone to taste.

“I am really enjoying this year’s Chocolate Prom,” said Emily Moon, a sophomore at Bloomington High School North. “I went last year so I figured I would try it out again this year, and I’ve not been disappointed.”

The dance party had few to no wallflowers — everyone was up and moving, not daring to sit down while the Vallures were singing and raising people to their feet.

“Nobody is sitting down at this party,” Franco said once more to the raging crowd.
Cheers and an increased level of dancing greeted her. Even Britton found himself swaying to the beat as he stamped people’s hands at the door.

“I’ve always enjoyed Chocolate Prom,” Britton said. “This year is definitely no different. I hope everybody is having as much fun as I am.”

Around the table of chocolate, older attendees reminisced about high school dances, and young boys and girls giggled nervously as they sought potential dance partners.

“I am so happy that we had such a great turnout,” Britton said. “Of course, we have the great music by the Vallures and all the chocolate to thank for that.”