Steampunk Society takes over Rachael’s Cafe

Steam Night

Anyone who happened to wander into Rachael’s Cafe Friday experienced more than the usual cup of coffee.

A crowd of neo-Victorian adventurers casually sipping tea to a post-industrial soundtrack welcomed customers.

It was the Steampunk Society of IU sponsoring “Steam Night,” a celebration of the Victorian science fiction aesthetic that has been growing in popularity ever since it morphed from a literary genre to a subculture in the 1980s. 

Fans of the genre came decked out in their finest steampunk garb — a mix of Victorian clothing, various copper and brass contraptions, and of course, goggles — to socialize and to browse the vendor tables and steampunk photo gallery.

Fans also watched performances by contact juggler Scott Weingart and the Different Drummer Belly Dancers.

The society raffled off a tea set, and one vendor, web-based comic artist Taversia Borrelli, had a raffle to appear as a character in her upcoming post-apocalyptic steampunk comic.

“It’s a night where you have an excuse to get dressed up and go out for the evening,” the event’s organizer and sophomore Caitlyn Muncy said.

After attending a steampunk party workshop at the Ohayocon convention, Muncy came up with the idea for the event.

“We’re trying to create an atmosphere. It’s very difficult, I know,” she said.

Within the steampunk culture, there is a strong emphasis on personal creativity and invention.

“When we dress up we’re trying to personify the inventors and adventurers from the literature — hence, the goggles and ‘inventions,’” Weingart said.

--Lee Shaw