Artists come together to support Barack Obama

Local artists to perform free concert Sunday

Two days before the pivotal Indiana Democratic Primary, four Bloomington artists will stump for presidential hopeful Barack Obama by doing what they do best: playing a live show at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The show is free and open to the public.\nThe show, dubbed “A Concert for Change,” will feature writer Scott Russell Sanders and singer/songwriters Carrie Newcomer, Malcolm Dalglish and special guest Krista Detor. Each of the four artists will perform 15 minutes of solo material and then do collaborations “in the round,” show producer Robert Meitus said.\nCarrie Newcomer played to a sold-out crowd at the Buskirk-Chumley in February for the release of her latest CD “The Geography of Light.” She said she is excited about her return to the Buskirk-Chumley and said it’s time for our country to address the pressing issues of economic justice, health care, the environment and military conflict.\n“In my mind, Sen. Barack Obama has the wisdom, eloquence and resolve needed in this important moment in history to inspire a generation,” Newcomer said.\nSanders, a distinguished professor of English at IU and author of more than 20 books, prepared a new piece titled “A Citizen’s View on the State of the Union” that he will read at the show. An IU professor since 1971, Sanders feels a strong connection with both current IU students and alumni.\n“I am greatly encouraged by the increased interest on the part of the IU student body,” he said. \nMeitus said the free show is not just the artists’ way of supporting Obama, but also a way for individuals who have given their time and energy to the Obama campaign to show their support.\n“It’s our way of giving back to those in the community who have been out their busting their butts,” he said.\nMeitus and Newcomer waited an hour and a half to see Obama speak on Wednesday. Obama’s moving speech reinforced Newcomer’s eagerness for the performance.\n“He’s amazing, he’s articulate, he’s inspiring,” Newcomer said.\n“A Concert for Change” will take place at 8 p.m. Sunday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Tickets are free and still available at the Sunrise Box Office. Doors open at 7 p.m.