Student brandishes knife at officers

Marijuana found in suspects’ kitchen

Bloomington police arrested two IU students Saturday morning at an apartment in the Varsity Villas after one answered the door brandishing a knife at officers.\nPolice originally responded to the 300 block of East Varsity Lane after someone complained about loud music in one of the apartments, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jeff Canada said.\nOfficers had to pound on the door to be heard over the music. According to the police reporter, officers heard two individuals talking on the other side of the door.\nIU student Nicholas Hersberger answered the door holding a large knife shoulder high in a striking position. Canada said the blade was pointed toward the officers.\nAccording to police reports, Hersberger took a half step forward and was warned several times to drop the knife as officers began to draw their own weapons.\nHersberger lowered the knife and turned to walk inside his apartment, where he placed the knife down. He was taken into custody, Canada said.\nOfficers found what they believed to be marijuana and rolling papers in the kitchen, Canada said. The officers arrested him for intimidation with a deadly weapon, resisting law enforcement and possession of marijuana, he said.\nInside the kitchen, officers found IU student John Farrell, who said Hersberger answered the door with the knife because he thought it was a neighbor who had been complaining about the music.\nFarrell was cited for a noise violation and was arrested for illegal consumption, Canada said.