Tuesday, March 19

Team falls in conference opener

The Hoosiers fell to the Michigan Wolverines Friday at the Canham Natatorium in Ann Arbor, Mich. 160.5 to 82.5, dropping their record to 1-1 overall and 0-1 in the Big Ten. \n"It's always nice to win; however, in this sport of swimming, not many people understand exactly what your purpose is," head coach Kris Kirchner said. "Certainly, the box score tells you the win or loss, but really there's a lot more to swimming than the point totals. There's a lot of individual performances and time, and if you can improve your times, the outcome will take care of itself."\nJunior David Schulze placed first in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1:52.46 and placed second in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:05.00. Schulze also tied for first place in the 200-yard medley relay with sophomore Matt Leach, freshman Murph Halasz, and sophomore Claes Andersson on the A-relay team with a time of 1:32.98. \nHalasz placed first in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:49.72, more than two seconds faster than the second-place Michigan finisher. Halasz also placed fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:08:23). \n"We have a really young team, I don't know what we're capable of," Halasz said. "I know a lot of guys come from programs where they just did a few yards a day and they're getting into shape and should explode swimming-wise by the end. They should be really fast by Big Tens and NCAAs, hopefully."\nLeach overtook Michigan junior Ryan Earhart in the final 50 yards of the 200-yard backstroke to secure a second place finish (1:50.90), .21 seconds out of first. \nSenior Heath Montgomery finished second in 200-yard freestyle (1:41.97) and freshman Val Milkov finished fifth in the same event (1:45.24). Montgomery also placed fourth in the 200-yard butterfly with a 1:53.79 time and swam out of the fourth spot of the B-relay team (freshmen David Winck, Nicholas Burgess, and Russell Hunt) that finished third in the 200-yard freestyle relay. The A-relay team (sophomore Michael Payne, Andersson, sophomore Dale Ramsy and Milkov)\nplaced second in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:24.53. \nBryant, who won the 500 and 1,000 yard freestyle events against Evansville, took fourth in the 1,650-yard freestyle (15:59.90) and third in the 500-yard freestyle (4:34.82). \nBryant said over the course of the season, he expects the team will get stronger. \n"As a whole, I think the team has gone really well," Bryant said. "The teamwork between us has been absolutely great. We all work out together, do everything together, so we're very team-like. I know we're a lot stronger than we were last year, and I wasn't here last year."\nSophomore Marc Carlton placed second in both the 1- and 3-meter diving events, with scores of 319.95 and 320.17, respectively. Junior Adam Hazes placed third (247.22) in the 1 meter event while sophomore Alex Burns placed third (274.42) in the 3-meter event.\n"I think it's very important to get off on the right foot on the first day of practice, I don't know\nthat one dual meet really matters," head diving coach Jeff Huber said. "But I think really the tone we set in the first week of practice is the most important. I'm a firm believer in laying a strong\nfoundation for the season, and that starts in practice. If we're not doing it in practice, we're not\ngoing to do it in the meet."\nThe Hoosiers' next competition is at the Indiana Invitational at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics\nCenter Nov. 16-18.