Debate with honor

The months of controversy surrounding Coach Bob Knight have been difficult ones for many of us on the Bloomington campus. Sometimes, a controversy like this one can overshadow the reason why we are all here ' to teach, to learn, to discover new knowledge, to share it with the world and to serve the University and the community.\nThe athletic program is very important to a great many students, faculty and staff on the campus, not only because of its reputation and traditions, but also because it brings together many of us as participants and spectators in a common endeavor. With the excitement of athletics can come a great deal of debate and discussion. \nIn this case, Bob Knight, probably the most recognizable person on campus, if not in the state, has been the subject of that debate. I ask everyone to help the campus ensure that debate, discussion and even heated disagreement will remain within the bounds of civility and respect this week. We cannot allow, encourage or tacitly ignore any violence, vandalism, destruction of property or any intimidation of those with whom we disagree. I hope that every student, faculty member and staff member on this campus will do everything possible to promote peace, civility and respect. \nLet us strive to focus on the core mission of learning, growth and development that brings us all here to Indiana University, and through which we bring honor to this great institution.