sports water polo

Indiana water polo travels to west coast to finish regular season

spiuwppreview041423.jpg

No. 17 Indiana water polo will travel to central California to compete in its final regular games of the season. Indiana will face San Jose State University on Saturday and Santa Clara University on Sunday. The Hoosiers currently hold a 15-12 overall, 1-4 conference record after losing to Michigan at home on April 8.  

Indiana will complete its season with a 9-2 record at home with the two losses coming to then-No. 13 Michigan and No. 1 Stanford. After last week’s game, head coach Taylor McInerney reflected on the Hoosiers’ home performances.  

“We made playing here really difficult for all of our opponents,” McInerney said. “We definitely elevated our home game atmosphere. I think everyone who comes here is going to have a hard time.”  

Indiana will finish its regular season on the road this weekend with its first stop at San Jose State. The Spartans have a 12-15 record on the season and are winless in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference.  

After facing four top-ten teams in a row, San Jose State is on a four-game losing streak. Its most recent loss was against No. 5 UC Berkeley on April 8. Spartans’ graduate goalkeeper Hannah Henry helped keep the game competitive with 16 saves and 3 steals in the 9-4 loss.  

The Hoosiers will spend their second half of the weekend in Santa Clara, California. The Broncos hold a 9-17 record after beating California Baptist University on a late goal on April 13. 

In Santa Clara’s recent win against CBU, junior defender Chloe Morrison scored the winning goal for the Broncos with 38 seconds remaining. The Broncos beat the Lancers 12-11.  

The Broncos have also had multiple mutual opponents with the Hoosiers this season. Santa Clara lost to Saint Francis University, Marist University, Villanova University and Harvard University earlier in the year, four teams Indiana holds wins against.  

Indiana will play its first game this weekend at 4 p.m. on Saturday in the Spartan Recreation and Aquatic Center and its second game at 2 p.m. on Sunday at the Sullivan Aquatic Center.  

Follow reporter Marnie Sara (@marniesara5) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s water polo season.