Funny Times Magazine to open Bloomington center of operations

entfunny042623.jpg

Funny Times Magazine will celebrate the one-year anniversary of the opening of their Bloomington editorial office with a comedy show featuring IU alumnus Ron Placone. The event will take place at 8 p.m. on June 28 at the Orbit Room.

Funny Times Magazine began in 1985 and has been headquartered in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, ever since. The publishers, Renae Lesser and Gabriel Piser, have strong ties to Bloomington and IU specifically. Lesser s currently a doctoral student at IU, and Piser works at the Center for Rural Engagement. Members of their staff are also IU alumni.

The publication’s website describes it as entertainment for a chaotic world and characterizes its humor as intelligent and politically left-leaning. Issues of Funny Times include over 100 cartoons, as well as several written pieces, and are delivered in print to more than 55,000 subscribers each month.

Placone’s comedy has been featured on the Discovery Channel, TMZ, the Jimmy Dore Show and more. He can also be seen every Thursday on the independent, YouTube-based news network Status Coup. Placone released his debut comedy album, “Agnostic Holiday,” in 2018.

Tickets for the Funny Times celebration party, with Placone headlining, can be found on Ron Placone’s Ticketleap page. They are available to the general public for $15 and to Funny Times subscribers for $10 with a promotional code.

CORRECTION: Funny Times Magazine's Bloomington office opened a year ago and was mistakenly described as opening in spring in a previous version of this article.
CORRECTION: Sue Wolpert and Ray Lesser were mistakenly described as being the current publishers in a previous version of this article.
CORRECTION: Sue Wolpert and Ray Lesser were mistakenly labeled as IU alumni in a previous version of this article.