student govt

IGNITE announced as preliminary winner of IUSG presidential election

caiusgresults031023.jpg

The IGNITE campaign won the IU Student Government 2023 presidential and vice-presidential election, according to preliminary results from the IUSG Election Commission.  

The president-elect is IU sophomore Aaliyah Raji, and the vice president-elect is IU junior Marsha Koda. Raji is the former co-director of the IUSG First-Year Internship Program, and Koda was formally the vice president of outreach for Kelley Student Government.   

[Related: IU Student Government executive, legislative branch voting opens Tuesday morning]  

IGNITE said they want to focus on collaborating with different multicultural groups and other organizations on campus. The primary goal for the ticket is to make diverse groups on campus feel included through a collaboration space, as well as increase the number of minorities who attend IU, Koda said.  

Election voting started at 10 a.m. on Tuesday and closed 10 p.m. on Wednesday. The IGNITE campaign received 1,235 votes, which was 41.72% total votes. The D.A.R.E ticket received 990 votes, Excel received 559 vote and Revive received 176 votes.  

[Related: IUSG candidates discuss students health, diversity goals at town hall

The election results must be certified by the IUSG Supreme Court, which will be done from mid-March to April. The presidential inauguration will be on April 15 when the president and vice president-elect will be sworn in by the chief justice of the IUSG Supreme Court.