sports softball

Indiana softball set to compete in Memphis Tiger Classic

spiusbpreview031623.jpg

Indiana softball heads down to Memphis, Tennessee, this weekend, returning to the diamond to compete in the Memphis Tiger Classic. Team 50 will look to extend their eight-game win streak after a perfect 5-0 finish in the Lady Bison Classic on March 12 and a victory over Belmont University on March 13. 

The Hoosiers have two consecutive doubleheaders on the slate for this weekend with matchups against Northwestern State University (12-10) and the University of Memphis (4-19). 

On Friday, Indiana takes on Northwestern State at 3 p.m. and Memphis at 8 p.m. On Saturday, the final day of the Memphis Tiger Classic, the Hoosiers take on Northwestern State at 1 p.m. and Memphis at 3:30 p.m. 

After an impressive showing from freshman catcher Avery Parker at the plate with two home runs against Belmont, she doubled her total on the season. Sophomore pitcher Brianna Copeland has been stellar in the circle this year as she holds a team-best 7-0 record. 

Freshman infielder Taryn Kern has been a bright spot so far this season with a batting average of 0.356 and 20 runs scored, good enough for second on the team behind senior utility player Cora Bassett. Last week, Kern was awarded Big Ten player of the week and co-freshman of the week. 

[Related: Indiana softball infielder Taryn Kern earns pair of Big Ten awards

After starting the season a shaky 7-9, the Hoosiers rattled off eight consecutive wins and now stand at 15-9 heading into this weekend. Although conference play has yet to start, Indiana is 0-1 in the Big Ten with the loss against Wisconsin in the Hoosier Classic on March 5. 

All four contests will have a radio broadcast and the Saturday matchup against Memphis will be broadcast on ESPN+.  

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.