sports softball

Indiana softball defeats Belmont behind 8 extra-base hits

spiusbrecap031523.jpg

Indiana softball defeated Belmont University 10-6 behind strong performances by sophomore pitcher Brianna Copeland and freshman catcher Avery Parker. Copeland started in the circle for the Hoosiers, giving up just one run on four hits in four innings. 

After a scoreless first inning, the Hoosiers struck first in the top of the second inning behind a two-run home run from Parker, driving in senior outfielder Abby Meeks. In the bottom half of the second, Copeland held the Bruins scoreless, allowing the Hoosiers to put up three runs in the top of the third to extend the lead to 5-0.  

Sophomore outfielder Taylor Minnick drove an RBI double to left field, bringing senior utility player Cora Bassett across the plate. Copeland was able to help herself out by hitting a two-RBI single, driving in junior outfielder Aaliyah Andrews and freshman second baseman Taryn Kern

After the Hoosiers were held scoreless in the top half of the inning, Copeland allowed her only run of the ballgame, giving up a solo home run to freshman catcher Brenna Blume.  

Parker continued her hot day at the plate in the top of the fifth inning, whacking a two-run home run and driving in Meeks. Bassett fouled out to freshman shortstop Nicole Hughes, allowing freshman utility player Cassidy Kettleman to cross the plate to give the Hoosiers an 8-1 advantage. 

The Bruins responded with an RBI single from sophomore second baseman Emily Cockrill, bringing freshman outfielder Daria Haynie in to score. A solo home run from Minnick in the top of the sixth and an RBI triple from Kern in the top of the seventh gave the Hoosiers a 10-2 lead.  

In their last chance to knot up the game in the bottom of the seventh, Belmont came up just short, although the Hoosiers were able to score four runs behind RBI singles from Hughes and Blume and an RBI double from Cockrill. 

With the victory over Belmont, Team 50 extended its winning streak to eight games behind six victories in Tennessee in the past five days. The Hoosiers will be back in action at 3 p.m. on Friday against Northwestern State University in the Memphis Tiger Classic in Memphis, Tennessee.  

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.