sports softball

Indiana softball dominates Lady Bison Classic, finishes 5-0

spiusbrecap031323.jpg

Indiana softball returned to the diamond this weekend with a superb showing, finishing 5-0 at the Lady Bison Classic in Nashville, Tennessee. The Hoosiers only gave up an impressive six runs with sophomore pitcher Brianna Copeland shining in the circle, giving up zero earned runs on 11 hits in the 19 innings she pitched.  

Team 50 improved its record to 14-9 on the season, defeating the University of Evansville and Lipscomb University twice and coming out victorious over the University of Akron.  

In its first game of the weekend, Indiana defeated the University of Evansville (13-6) by a score of 5-2. Copeland started in the circle for the Hoosiers, giving up three hits and two unearned runs in seven innings. 

The Hoosiers struck first in the bottom of the first inning with an RBI groundout from sophomore first baseman Sarah Stone, driving in senior utility player Cora Bassett. Freshman outfielder catcher Avery Parker drew a bases-loaded walk, allowing freshman second baseman Taryn Kern to cross the plate and give Indiana a 2-0 advantage. 

In the top of the third inning, the Purple Aces were able to cut into the deficit, scoring via an RBI double from freshman catcher Taylor Howe, driving in freshman shortstop Sydney Kalonihea. Freshman first baseman Marah Wood scored on a passed ball, tying the ballgame.  

Copeland gave the Hoosiers a one-run lead after she scored because of two errors by the Evansville defense in the bottom of the third inning. Howe committed an error, allowing Kern to tack on another run in the bottom of the fourth inning as Copeland reached on fielder’s choice. 

An RBI double from Kern in the bottom of the fifth inning gave Indiana its fifth and final run of the game, driving in Bassett. 

In its second game of the day, Indiana came out victorious against Lipscomb University (7-9) by a score of 11-3. Junior pitcher Macy Montgomery started in the circle for the Hoosiers, only lasting two innings and giving up two earned runs.  

Once again, Indiana got out to a fast start in the top of the first inning with two solo home runs from Bassett and sophomore outfielder Taylor Minnick. The Lady Bison tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the first behind a two-run homerun from senior right fielder Presley Leebrick.  

A two-run home run from Kern in the top of the third inning gave the Hoosiers a 4-2 advantage, but another run was tacked on later in the inning as Stone hit an RBI double. An RBI double from Kern in the top of the fourth gave Indiana its seventh run of the game. Minnick hit an RBI single, driving in Kern and Bassett.  

Senior outfielder Abby Meeks then hit a two-run home run in the top of the fourth, driving in Copeland and giving the Hoosiers an 11-2 lead. 

The Lady Bison added another run in the bottom of the fifth as sophomore infielder Tori Womack hit an RBI double, driving in redshirt freshman third baseman Josey Polk. With the 11-3 lead in the fifth, the game ended due to the run rule.  

Saturday, March 11 

After a successful 2-0 showing on Friday, Team 50 looked to add two more wins on Saturday. The Hoosiers took on Evansville (13-7) for the second day in a row, this time defeating the Purple Aces by a score of 13-1 in five innings. Sophomore pitcher Heather Johnson started in the circle for the Hoosiers, giving up one hit and no runs on 42 pitches in four innings. 

A three-run home run by Stone in the top of the first inning gave the Hoosiers a quick 3-0 lead. A sacrifice fly from Kern drove in sophomore center fielder Kinsey Mitchell, extending the lead to 4-0. Copeland scored the fifth run of the game after an RBI single from junior catcher Lindsey Warrick.  

The Hoosiers busted the game open in the fifth inning, putting up eight runs in the top of the inning. An RBI double from Copeland, an RBI single from junior infielder Brooke Benson, and a three-run home run from Kern gave the Hoosiers a 13-0 lead. Evansville scored a run in the bottom of the fifth before the run rule ended the game, giving the Hoosiers their 12th win of the season.  

In the second game of the day, Indiana once again came out victorious against Lipscomb by a score of 10-0. Copeland started in the circle for the Hoosiers, giving up zero runs on just four hits with 87 pitches in six innings of work.  

The Hoosiers got on the board first after an RBI double from Copeland drove in freshman utility player Cassidy Kettleman and Bassett. In the top of the second inning, Junior outfielder Aaliyah Andrews hit a two-run home run in the second, driving in Parker and giving the Hoosiers a 4-0 lead.  

A solo home run from Kern tacked on another run in the second inning. Parker hit a two-run home run in the top of the third, driving in Mitchell and giving the Hoosiers a 7-0 lead. An RBI double from Minnick and an RBI groundout from Parker gave the Hoosiers a 10-0 run-rule victory. 

Sunday, March 12 

In the fifth and final game of the weekend, the Hoosiers squared off against the University of Akron (10-9). Copeland was in the circle again for the Hoosiers, giving up no runs on four hits in six innings.  

After three scoreless innings to open the game, Indiana struck first in the bottom of the fourth inning after a solo home run from Copeland. The Hoosiers tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the fifth after an RBI double from Bassett and an RBI single from Kern. A solo home run from Parker in the bottom of the sixth and holding the Zips scoreless gave the Hoosiers a 5-0 victory. 

The Hoosiers are now on a seven-game win streak, their longest of the season. Head coach Shonda Stanton spoke about her team's ability to win no matter the score.  

“Finding ways to win and we have done it all different ways this weekend,” Stanton said after defeating Akron on Sunday. “I can’t be any prouder, this group of finding ways and different kids up and down the lineup finding ways.” 

The Hoosiers now stand at 14-9 with weekday matchups on Monday against Western Kentucky University and on Tuesday against Belmont University. 

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.