'Home Bound' an IU student and alumni art exhibit, to open March 30

enthomebound032323.jpg

“Home Bound,” an independent art exhibit, will open on March 30 at the IU Sciences Library. The exhibit will feature artwork by IU students and alumni, whose work aims to visualize ideas of home that transcend physical boundaries.  

An opening reception for the exhibit will be held at 5 p.m. on March 30 in room C002 of the IU Sciences Library in the Department of Chemistry building.  

The work featured in “Home Bound” will include watercolor pieces, inkjet prints of photographs, a mixed-media hanging sculpture, a zine, an acrylic painting, a video and more.  

The exhibit is curated by IU senior Claudia Gonzalez-Diaz, who will graduate in May with a bachelor’s degree in Art History and French and a minor in both Latino Studies and Spanish. 

Related: [Q&A with choreographer Gianna Reisen for ‘Spring Ballet’

Gonzalez-Diaz said the idea for “Home Bound” was conceived in spring 2022 when she studied abroad in France and lived alone for the first time. She said she wanted the exhibit to reflect two things: what it means to inhabit different spaces and an artist’s ability to resonate with the idea of home.  

As an independently-curated exhibit, Gonzalez-Diaz said the decision to curate “Home Bound” was also born out of a desire to gain curatorial experience outside of an institution.  

“Home Bound” will be available to view until May 20. Attendance for the exhibit and its opening reception is free. More information about “Home Bound” can be found on the exhibit’s Instagram page.  

Editor’s Note: Gonzalez-Diaz is a former employee of the IDS.