bloomington

National Kappa Sigma headquarters reinstates IU chapter

cakappasigma012923.jpg

The Kappa Sigma Fraternity returned to the Indiana University Interfraternity council in January of 2023, according to the IU Interfraternity Council website. The IU chapter of Kappa Sigma is returning after four years.  

In December of 2018, Kappa Sigma national headquarters withdrew their charter at IU due to code of conduct violations regarding alcohol and hazing, according to a The Herald Times article. Kappa Sigma’s national headquarters decided to close the chapter based on information from a 2018 membership review report.  

“Generally, when that happens, it's a culmination of events and a culture that builds and then something happens that gets outside of the chapter and goes out into the community and harms others," Connor Kennedy, President of the IU Interfraternity Council, said.   

[Related: Sigma Phi Epsilon placed on cease and desist for hazing]

Since there are no remaining members from the old Kappa Sigma chapter, the expansion team from their national headquarters is on campus to recruit new people. They are recruiting throughout the semester, according to Kennedy. 

Kennedy said in order to get the chapter reinstated, Kappa Sigma national headquarters had to present a plan to ensure risk management policies were in place. Kappa Sigma national headquarters also had to present a plan to ensure new chapter members would be held accountable for code violations, Kennedy said. 

Kappa Sigma went through this process to present these plans last year, and was approved by the university to return, Kennedy said. Kennedy said he could not disclose if the IU Kappa Sigma chapter, formerly located at 1411 N Jordan Ave., will get a new location.