Chaos on the ice: Indiana hockey loses against Michigan after technical difficulties cut series short

spiuhockeyrecap.jpg

Indiana ice hockey was scheduled for a second game against Michigan after losing 7-3 on Friday before having the tournament cut short after the auger fell off the Zamboni, making a noticeable incision into a ice for roughly 30 feet into Indiana's zone. Even after an hour delay on the game, the issues were unresolved.  

However, Indiana was still able to play the night before in front of the largest crowd of the season so far at Frank Southern Ice Arena in Bloomington, as they took on the Wolverines in an intense game.  

Five minutes into the first period, Christian Pizzutello, the senior forward for Michigan scored on a breakaway to initiate the game’s scoring. Less than 30 seconds after, Wolverine sophomore forward Jack Glenn scored on a precise assist from sophomore forward Matthew Mogle. Brock Huber, a graduate student forward for Michigan’s club, scored on a rebounded goal off junior goalie Sammy Bilis to give Michigan a 3-0 lead to end the first. 

Jason Shulman, the senior forward Wolverine scored on a breakaway goal after putting on a skillful hesitation goal. Slow starts have been the team’s kryptonite this season, contributing to the club’s losses on the 14-10 season. 

“I mean it’s unfortunately kind of the same things we continue to make mistakes on,” Indiana head coach Andrew Weiss said. “From a slow start, not defending well in transition, and playing a 200 ft. game.”  

The Hoosiers finally got on the board halfway through the second period when sophomore forward Tommy MacDonald scored a goal, assisted by sophomore forward Drew Micheli. The Wolverines were quick to respond and as confusion erose in front of the net, senior defenseman Nic Azarovitz put the Wolverines back up by four.   

Michigan continued its dominance, scoring with just a minute left in the second, as sophomore defenseman Ethan VanderRoest ripped a slapshot on net that got past freshman goalie Jack Thomson, who got subbed in for Bilis.  

The third period flashed some positive for the Hoosiers. Sophomore defenseman Will Kiecker scored for the Hoosiers and gave the team a spark.  

Freshman defenseman Henry Whittlef scored on a one-timer shortly after, and suddenly the Hoosiers were within three goals with just over 13 minutes remaining. The flame was quickly extinguished, and Pizzutello scored his second of the game for Michigan, widening the gap to a commanding 7-3 lead.  

The Hoosiers had a last-ditch effort with freshman winger Luke Slaven deflecting one in to finalize the score at 7-4.  

“I mean obviously it’s very frustrating,” Weiss said. "I think it serves as yet another learning opportunity for a very young hockey team.”

Indiana will take on Dayton next weekend, playing its final home game at Frank Southern on Jan. 28, and going on the road to finish the two-game series on Jan. 29.  

Follow reporter Owen McDonough (@OwenJMcDonough) for updates throughout the Indiana club ice hockey season.