student life

The IDS has tips to help you study for finals this fall

castudytips121222.jpg

It’s that time of year again: finals. Although it is an exciting time as students are approaching the end of the semester and holiday season, it can also be a stressful time for some students. Below is our how-to guide on studying for finals.  

Start early:  

Going over new ideas a day after class will help increase retention and comprehension, according to the Ebbinghaus Forgetting Curve principle, so make time each evening for a quick review. It is important to make sure that you aren't cramming your work.  

Related: [Students display their research at the Empathy ASURE Poster Show]

Make a plan:  

Scheduling class meetings, homework, assignments, projects and study sessions is crucial to staying organized. Use a planner to keep track of deadlines, dates and times so you do not forget anything important.  

Go to office hours:  

If you are having trouble with a concept or topic, your professors can help. Stop by during their office hours or email questions to your professor to help you understand the class material better.  

Find a good study spot:  

Some people like the silence of Wells Library, while others like the upbeat Starbucks. It is important to find a good spot that will help you get away from distractions and be productive. Check out this News at IU article to find quiet places to study on campus.  

Related: [‘Tripledemic’ of respiratory viruses overloads Indiana hospitals]

Take breaks:  

Taking too much time on one subject can make you lose your concentration. Give your brain and body a chance to refresh so you can approach material with energy and focus.  

Good luck Hoosiers!