politics

Members of Indiana House of Representative elected

indianahouse100822-jpg

Monroe County residents voted to elect four members of the Indiana House of Representatives Tuesday. The seats for District 60, 61, 62 and 46 were up for election this year.

District 46

Bob Heaton, the Republican incumbent for Indiana House District 46, has won against Democratic opponent Kurtis Cummings. Heaton received 69% of the vote. 

Heaton has held his position as representative of Indiana’s District 46 since 2010 and has been the State House Majority Whip since the 2014 elections, according to Ballotpedia. In 2021-22, he served on the Financial Institutions and Insurance Committee and the Ways and Means Committee. 

Heaton sponsored House Bill 1041, which bans transgender students from participating in school sports, according to the ACLU. He’s also sponsored bills surrounding higher education funding, the department of correction and firearms. Heaton voted yes to Senate Bill 1, which banned abortion.

District 60

Peggy Mayfield, an incumbent Republican representing District 60 in the Indiana House of Representatives, has won re-election, beating opponent Kathy Thorpe with 70.2% of the vote for the 66.21% of votes counted, according to IndyStar, .  

Mayfield has served five terms as a representative, totaling 12 years. In addition to public office, Mayfield owns Mayfield Insurance in Mooresville, Indiana with her husband.  

Mayfield’s top issues are maintaining budget efficiency, opposing abortion access and supporting the 2nd Amendment, according to her campaign website.  

District 61

Matt Pierce, a Democrat in the Indiana House of Representatives,  won re-election after running unopposed for District 61. Pierce has served the district since 2002 and is also a lecturer in telecommunications at IU.  

In the last legislative session, Pierce served on the Courts and Criminal Code Committee, the Elections and Apportionment Committee, the Rules and Legislative Committee, the Statutory Committee on Ethics Committee and the Utility, Energy and Telecommunications Committee.

District 62

Republican Dave Hall has been elected to serve as Indiana’s House District 62 Representative. He beat opponent Penny Githens with 52.71% of the vote Tuesday night.

Hall is a long-time small business owner and farmer. He’s in his second term as Jackson County Council President and has experience with the Jackson County Redevelopment Commission, Industrial Development Corporation and Sheriff’s Department, according to his website.  

In his campaign, Hall opposed involuntary annexation, calling it government overreach. He prioritized fighting drug abuse and improving infrastructure and broadband access, and promoted the use of paper ballots in future elections.