Michigan football coach Mike Hart updates health after medical emergency Saturday

spiufbmikehartbrief101022.jpg

Mike Hart, current Michigan football running backs coach and former Indiana football assistant coach, gave an update on his health via a Michigan football Twitter post Monday morning. This comes after Hart was carted off the field in the first quarter of Indiana’s game Saturday against No. 4 Michigan after suffering a medical emergency on the Michigan sideline.

“I would like to thank everyone for their support, messages, and prayers. I am truly grateful for the trainers and paramedics, the doctors and nurses at IU Hospital, Michigan’s team doctors, coaching staff, players and Coach Harbaugh. I would also like to thank IU’s football staff and team doctors. I will never forget everyone’s kindness and generosity.”

“My wife and I are thankful to be surrounded by such incredible people.”

“Health-wise, I am back in Ann Arbor and things are trending in a positive direction.”

Later in the game, FOX reported on its broadcast that Hart had suffered a seizure. He exited the field on a cart and was later transported to the IU Health Bloomington Hospital for further evaluation.

Prior to Hart being named the Michigan running backs coach in 2021, he was a four-year starter at running back for the Wolverines from 2004 to 2007. He is currently the all-time leading rusher in Michigan football program history.

In 2017, Hart was named the running backs coach at Indiana, he would also serve as assistant head coach in 2018 and 2019 before being promoted to associate head coach in 2020.

After Saturday’s game, each program’s head coach addressed Hart’s health during their post-game press conferences.

“Mike had a medical emergency during the game,” Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh said. “Mike’s a strong guy and just abundant prayers go his way and really put things in perspective.”

Indiana head coach Tom Allen said he was very close to Hart, telling the media he talked to Harbaugh after the game about the situation.

“Our hearts for him are heavy and his family,” Allen said. “Prayers for them. Thoughts for them. We’re praying that he is going to have a full recovery.

Allen started his press conference on Monday by sending more prayers toward Hart.

“Good to hear Hart is doing better,” Allen said. “Means a lot to our program.”

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.