Indiana defenders Devon Matthews, Bradley Jennings Jr. detail Hoosiers’ next-man-up mentality

spiufbpresserrecap101122.jpg

Last week against the University of Michigan, Indiana football took hits on the defensive side of the ball with multiple veterans going down with injuries before and during the game. Senior linebacker and three-time captain Cam Jones was ruled out prior to the game, along with senior defensive back Jaylin Williams. Fellow senior cornerback Tiawan Mullen left the game with an injury in the second half. 

Senior linebacker Bradley Jennings Jr. — a transfer from the University of Miami — was asked to play in place of the injured Jones on Saturday. 

“Everybody just has to step up,” Jennings said in a press conference Monday. “Everyone just has to know that when your number gets called. You have to step up to the plate and make plays.” 

Jennings performed well against the Wolverines, finishing with 13 total tackles, one tackle for a loss and a pass breakup. Depending on the health of Cam Jones, Indiana may rely heavily on the continued production of Jennings. 

Throughout the first six games of the Hoosiers’ 2022 season, the defense has been the team’s core. Having been on the field for over 200 minutes of game time and, in most games this season, played substantially more than the offense. While this can be attributed to Indiana’s fast paced offensive play, it’s still telling of the pressure put on the defensive group. 

While the cumulative rankings may not show it, Indiana’s defense has made big plays time after time in key moments to propel the team into having a chance to win games. 

Last Saturday, senior safety Devon Matthews — nicknamed “Monster” because of his tenacious play as an 8-year-old — was able to make a play on a tipped pass and get a turnover for Indiana as Michigan was inching closer to the end zone. 

“I credit my interception to BJ (Bradley Jennings Jr.). If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have caught the interception,” Matthews said. “I just did my job — stayed over the top. I saw the ball in the air and went to go dive and get it.” 

Jennings spoke on the defensive brotherhood and effort the defensive unit has played with even while key players miss time. He said the team feeds off one another and instills confidence in each other’s ability to go out and make big plays. 

“(Cam Jones) just taught me how to be vocal, lead and learn how to push everybody to fly around on defense,” Jennings said. 

With the status of multiple standout Hoosier defenders uncertain, the team will look for replacements to continue to step up, bring effort and make plays entering week seven against Maryland at home. 

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.