Indiana offense falls dormant in the second half, can’t pull off upset over No. 4 Michigan

spiufbrecap100822.jpeg

It was a tale of two halves Saturday, starting with Indiana football hanging tough with the No. 4 Wolverines but ending with the dam that is Indiana’s offensive line breaking loose. For the second week in a row, the Hoosier’s offense went stagnant in the second half, losing 31-10. 

The Wolverines got off to a quick start after a 50-yard run combined with a one-yard touchdown run by Michigan’s junior running back Blake Corum put Indiana in an early 7-0 hole just three minutes into the game. 

On their second offensive drive, Indiana found luck on the outside of the field, attacking Michigan’s secondary. Led by junior receiver Cam Camper and senior running back Josh Henderson, the Hoosiers answered with a touchdown to tie it up.  

Both teams traded field goals between the first and second quarter as Indiana managed to keep it close with the fourth-best team in the nation. 

Indiana's up-tempo offensive pace gave Michigan’s defense some problems early. Bazelak's ability to find holes in the Wolverine's secondary paired with Michigan’s lack of discipline resulting in penalties made the Hoosiers’ offense operate with ease.  

After a Bazelak interception midway through the second quarter, Michigan found itself in the red zone threatened to retake the lead. What looked like seven easy points quickly turned into three which — after a blocked 26-yard field goal — turned into zero in a huge goal line stand from Indiana’s defensive and special teams units. 

On the corresponding drive, Indiana — led by a 39-yard run from freshman Jaylin Lucas — marched down the field on Michigan’s defense. The Hoosiers found themselves in the red zone, not only threatening, but bound to take their first lead of the game.  

However, a blocked Campbell field goal kick just after they blocked Michigan’s kick left each drive scoreless. A 10-10 tie was where the score remained going into the second half. 

After one half of football, it was apparent that Michigan was anxious to get back into the locker room and regroup. While Indiana never wanted the half to stop as they stood up to the challenge, hanging tough with the Wolverines. 

Both teams went on a scoring drought with 12:08 remaining in the second quarter. The drought came to an abrupt end with 7:39 left in the third quarter when Michigan sophomore quarterback J.J. McCarthy found senior receiver Cornelius Johnson, giving the Wolverines a seven-point lead.  

Michigan's defense came out in the second half looking like they adjusted to Indiana’s offense. 

After the game, Bazelak said the Wolverines had better coverage in the second half, saying his team wasn’t able to predict what kind of coverage the Michigan defense was going to play. 

A big punt return for Michigan, meant they’d begin their drive in Indiana territory. Threatening to extend the lead to two scores, McCarthy's throw toward the end zone was bobbled up, and Hoosiers senior safety Devon Matthews came down with the ball, securing the interception for Indiana. 

Going into the fourth quarter, Indiana hung around with the Wolverines but trailed 17-10. 

After both teams traded punts, Michigan made headway into Indiana territory thanks partially to its running game.  

McCarthy found senior tight end Luke Schoonmaker in the end zone to give the Wolverines their biggest lead of the game, 24-10. On the next Michigan drive, another McCarthy to Johnson connection delivered the dagger to the Hoosiers’ heart. 

After another score by the Wolverines, the Hoosiers went on to lose 31-10 on homecoming weekend. 

Indiana’s offense had success challenging Michigan’s defense with up-tempo play but the offensive line failed to protect Bazelak and the Wolverine's pass rush took advantage.  

The Michigan defense sacked Bazelak seven times and added four quarterback hurries. The majority of those plays came on non-blitzing defensive plays when they had fewer players going after the quarterback than the Hoosiers had blocking. 

“It was pretty simple stuff,” Bazelak said after the game. “Four man, five man rushing” 

Bazelak understands there were manageable formations shown by the Michigan defense, saying they didn’t bring “exotic” blitzes. 

As a result of the high-pressure situations faced by Bazelak, the Hoosiers offense was shut down. They were outgunned 263 yards to just 29 in the second half and had -12 yards in the fourth quarter. 

“We’re not getting the job done there,” Indiana head coach Tom Allen said on the offensive line. “We didn’t finish.” 

For the second consecutive week, Indiana's offense was shut out in the second half. 

Discouraged by his team’s performance, Allen said the offensive staff was failing to make adjustments midgame, he puts blame on himself being unable to make that happen. 

Now, a 3-3 record overall and 1-2 in the Big Ten, Indiana returns to action next Saturday in Bloomington against Maryland. 

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.