arts music

Girls Rock Bloomington to offer collaborative songwriting workshop for kids Oct. 26

entgirlsrock102422.jpg

Girls Rock Bloomington, a local non-profit founded in 2019, will lead a collaborative songwriting workshop for children at 4:30 p.m. this Wednesday at the FAR Center for Contemporary Arts on Rogers Street.  

This event is the second in a four-part series of Girls Rock Music Lab workshops this fall, occurring each Wednesday afternoon until Nov. 9. During the workshop, attendees will learn basic songwriting techniques, work together to create their own song as a group and are invited to share any music they previously worked on. 

Girls Rock Bloomington works to “teach positive self-esteem and self-expression through music education and mentoring to girls, trans and non-binary youth,” according to the organization’s website. Their programming includes summer camps, open mic events and various after school workshops. 

Related: [Free Halloween film screening to be held at Radio-Television Building Oct. 27

The first of the workshops, which took place last week, let kids test out various instruments at the FAR Center under the instruction of Girls Rock volunteer musicians. Lauren Kniss, director of the FAR Center, said it was wonderful to watch some of the participants play with instruments for the very first time in such a supportive environment.  

“At the beginning, it was a loud sort of explosion in our gallery space,” Kniss said. “And by the end of it, there was a melody happening. It was incredible.”  

The third workshop, a make-your-own radio show project, will be offered on Nov. 2. Kids will learn how to create their own radio program, which will be aired on WFHB’s Youth Radio channel. A merch-making workshop for kids to learn how to make screen prints, decorative buttons and album art will take place on Nov. 9.  

Kniss said she’s appreciated all the work Girls Rock has done over the years for children in Bloomington  

“I hope that it will sort of spark an interest in music for the rest of their life,” Kniss said. “What's great about this program is that they're meeting these people that are going to potentially be mentors for them in this music environment.”  

One of those mentors – Cathleen Paquet, a longtime volunteer with Girls Rock and the organization's board secretary – said she’s excited to be opening the music scene up to individuals who have been long-excluded from it. Paquet has played guitar and bass for various punk and indie rock bands throughout her career. Growing up as a woman in the rock music scene, she remembers feeling excluded by her peers, often being the only girl in the room.  

“It's probably not too much of a secret that for a long time, rock and roll has widely been considered a boys’ club,” Paquet said.  “Especially for girls, trans and non-binary youth, to give them the exposure to music and to the music industry in a way that feels empowering will instill in them that their voices matter. As a culture, we can all benefit from music and art scenes that listen to all voices.”  

Amy Oelsner, Girls Rock’s founder and director, began the Bloomington chapter of the international non-profit in 2019. Oelsner said she’s appreciated how welcoming the community has been to the organization over the years. She’s glad to be able to provide individuals with a supportive entry point into music making.  

“I hope everyone understands that if they want to play music, that they should just do it,” Oelsner said. “Don't be intimidated by it. If they want to get involved with Girls Rock Bloomington, no matter their identity, we are a very welcoming and encouraging group to be part of for kids and adults.”  

Oelsner recalled that once, a 9-year-old participant told her that a Girls Rock summer camp was the “most empowering experience of her life.”  

“There's nothing better,” Oelsner said. “Even though I love making music and being an artist in my own right, I find that it can never be as satisfying as impacting people in that way.” 

Related: [COLUMN: Taylor Swift’s ‘Midnights’ and the myth of perfectionism

For Oelsner, working with new kids is the best part of the job. Others looking to share music with Bloomington youth can explore the year-round volunteering opportunities that Girls Rock offers, regardless of their musical experience. 

The workshops are open to girls, trans and non-binary youth ages 8-14. Tickets for the event are available online for $25, and students are invited to participate in individual workshops, as well as the entire Music Lab program. Girls Rock offers sliding scale BIPOC community fund options. Individuals who may want assistance affording the program should contact girlsrockbloomington@gmail.com.