arts community events

Free Halloween film screening to be held at Radio-Television Building Oct. 27

entfilmscreening102022.jpg

The Media Services department at Wells Library will hold a Halloween film screening Oct. 27 at the Radio-Television Building in room 245. “Trick ‘r Treat” will play at 6:30 p.m. and “Donnie Darko” will play at 8:15 p.m. 

Patrons can come to either of the films but staying for the double feature is encouraged.  

“Trick ‘r Treat” takes place on Halloween night and follows four interwoven characters: a serial killer moonlighting as a high school principal, a reserved college freshman looking for the perfect date to her friends’ Halloween party, a group of kids who pull a mean prank on an unsuspecting outcast and a reclusive old man who must defend himself from a demonic trick-or-treater known as Sam.  

Related: [Local music scene: Oct. 20-Oct. 26]

Before 2022, “Trick ‘r Treat” never had a theatrical run. Instead, it went straight to video upon its release in 2007. Since then, it has become a beloved Halloween film that is considered integral viewing by publications such as Elle and Harper’s Bazaar

“Donnie Darko” follows a troubled teenager, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who narrowly escapes what would have been a fatal accident. After this incident, he begins to have bizarre visions of a strange and menacing figure in an off-putting rabbit costume who tells him to commit a series of crimes. 

When the film was released in 2001, it was a failure at the box office. Since then, it has achieved cult-film status, and its fanbase continues to grow each Halloween season. IndieWire calls “Donnie Darko” the quintessential Halloween film

Related: [COLUMN: Mainstream cinema is weird again: how ‘Halloween Ends’ plays with our expectations]

The screening is part of a larger film series the department plans to continue into the spring semester. 

The screening is free to all students and faculty. No RSVP is required.