bloomington

E-scooter company Lime to host safety training courses this week

cascooters102522.jpg

E-scooter company Lime will host a series of scooter safety training courses this week, with the next two taking place Wednesday, Oct. 26, and Friday, Oct. 28, in Dunn Meadow. The free courses are from 11 a.m. to noon on the southeast corner of East Seventh Street and Indiana Avenue, according to a press release from Lime. 

This training is part of Lime safety week in Bloomington to promote safe riding, in partnership with Indiana University Police Department. Along with the course, Lime will be posting social media ads and sending in-app safety messages to its riders.  

Related: [Bloomington enacts curfew for e-scooter usage, releases new guidelines]

LeAaron Foley, director of government relations at Lime, said the safety week is in compliance with the city’s regulation for micro mobility.  

“Because we offer both bikes and scooters, we want all riders across the city to be as safe as possible as they ride,” Foley said. “As a responsible operator we want to make sure we are sharing as much information as possible, so our riders and non-riders are safe.” 

Following two recent e-scooter accidents that resulted in the deaths of IU students, the Bloomington City government has required e-scooter companies to restrict access to their scooters between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. daily. 

Related: [Woman, alleged to have killed IU student in e-scooter hit and run, charged with 3 felonies]

Foley also said he hopes infrastructure, like roads, bridges and tunnels, are improved in order to keep riders safe.  

“We know rider education is an important aspect to staying safe, but we also know that hard infrastructure also keeps riders safe as well,” Foley said. “We hope the city lifts its curfew by the end of this season, so Bloomington residents have the ability to go where they need to go.”