COLUMN: A not-so-thorough analysis of Indiana football’s 2023 schedule

spiufbcolumn102822.jpg

As Indiana football rests on bye, what better time for the Big Ten to announce the 2023 schedule? With no game to focus on, I thought it necessary to turn to this news.

The Hoosiers are in the midst of a five-game losing streak with two top-13 ranked opponents ahead. But there’s always next season, right? It’s time to find out.

Non-conference play

Indiana opens the season against a conference opponent, but Indiana State University is its first non-conference foe in week two. This matchup should make for an easy win for the Hoosiers, and the Sycamores’ only real chance of winning might just be a game of H-O-R-S-E between each school’s most accomplished athlete.

[Related: Indiana football announces schedule for 2023 season]

Following Indiana State on Indiana’s schedule is the University of Louisville. With the game being played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium, the Cardinals aren’t the only program from Kentucky afraid to play in Bloomington. Looking at you, John Calipari.

Louisville is a solid program and is trending toward a bowl appearance this season. The Hoosiers will probably be the underdog in this one but still have a shot at a week-three win.

Week four: the Hoosiers take on the University of Akron in Bloomington. While most known as the birthplace of a few notable professional basketball players — such as Larry Nance, Jr. — Akron is still a well-known school. However, the Zips are not a formidable football team.

If things go as will be expected, the Hoosiers will be 2-2 heading into the rest of conference play.

Conference play

Due to the cruelties of Big Ten divisions, the Hoosiers once again have a tough conference slate. Even worse, they open the season against Ohio State at home.

While Indiana doesn’t have to play a true road game until week five, its backloaded conference road schedule is grueling. The Hoosiers will play away games against Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Illinois and Purdue.

The remaining matchups at home include Rutgers, Wisconsin and Michigan State. It isn’t the easiest slate, but it is manageable.

So, what can we expect from conference play? I don’t have the slightest idea, considering rosters are far from set. Just because a team is good or bad this season doesn’t mean the program won’t turn it around next year.

But who doesn’t love making predictions? It’s another tough slate and this season has not been promising as of recently, so six wins and a bowl appearance is an optimistic ceiling.

As for the floor, it could very well be another two or three-win season if things plummet as they have this year and last.

But who knows? September is a long way from now.

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.