sports women's soccer

Jamie Gerstenberg earns second Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Week honors of the season

spiuwsbrief092122.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer sophomore goalie Jamie Gerstenberg was awarded Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Week honors for the second time this season, the conference announced Tuesday. Gerstenberg recorded eight saves in a 0-0 draw with Penn State on Sunday, tying her career high. 

Gerstenberg’s honor comes after only one appearance during the week, as Indiana graduate goalkeeper Bethany Kopel started and played the entirety of Indiana’s shutout against Trine University. In Sunday’s matchup with Penn State, Gerstenberg recorded her seventh-consecutive clean sheet, the fifteenth of her career. She is now tied for second-most shutouts in program history in 23 games played.

[Related: Indiana women’s soccer draws No. 8 Penn State 0-0, breaks matchup’s five-game losing streak]

Gerstenberg has collected 31 saves this season after a 2021 campaign in which she grabbed 36 total. The sophomore has a career save percentage of .893, and 1.000 success rate in 2022, in which the Hoosiers have not given up a goal in 720 consecutive minutes.

Follow reporters Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) for updates throughout the game and the rest of the Indiana women’s soccer season.