INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football suffers first loss, bounced by Cincinnati, 45-24

spiufbinstantrecap092422

In an electric environment in Nippert Stadium Saturday afternoon, Indiana and the University of Cincinnati traded field goals to start the first quarter. Bearcat redshirt senior quarterback Ben Bryant found a hole in the Hoosiers’ secondary and launched a pass to junior wide receiver Tyler Scott for a 75-yard touchdown. Cincinnati led Indiana at the end of the first quarter, 10-3. 

To start the second quarter, each team traded touchdowns after benefiting from a short field position and quick play. A 7-point deficit for the Hoosiers quickly turned sour, as the Bearcats went on to score 21 unanswered points to finish out the first half. Indiana trailed Cincinnati 38-10 heading into halftime. 

The second half began with a Bryant interception, and the Hoosiers converted the turnover into points. Indiana senior running back Shaun Shivers welcomed a short 2-yard reception for Indiana’s second touchdown of the game. The Hoosiers silenced the Bearcats’ offense in the third quarter but still trailed 38-17 going into the fourth. 

After a Cincinnati punt to start the fourth quarter, Shivers found a hole in the Bearcats’ defense and went down the field for a 47-yard touchdown. Indiana cut the deficit to 14. Cincinnati scored another touchdown in the final seconds of the quarter to extend its lead. Despite Indiana’s defensive rejuvenation in the second half, the Hoosiers' offensive couldn’t climb out of the deep hole they put themselves in after the first half.  

FINAL: Indiana 24, Cincinnati 45 

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the game and the rest of the Indiana football season.