Indiana football head coach Tom Allen details Matthew Bedford injury, week two adjustments

spiufballenpresser090522.jpg

After a few days off spent watching film and receiving medical results, Indiana football head coach Tom Allen spoke to the media Monday about the team's performance Friday. Although there was plenty to be happy about following the victory, Allen detailed some points of concentration for the Hoosiers moving forward.

Following a 2021 season plagued with injuries, Indiana has already lost a key piece of its offensive line. Senior offensive lineman Matthew Bedford has been diagnosed with a torn anterior cruciate ligament and will not play for the rest of the 2022 season. On a brighter note, senior linebacker Cam Jones' injury was not significant, and he will be on the field again this Saturday.

“Tough blow for Matt — he’ll be out for the season,” Allen said. “I feel for him, an amazing young man, but he has an amazing attitude about all of it. The reality is, it is part of the game, and you hate it for him and our team.”

One aspect of Friday’s performance Allen was not pleased with was the 23 missed tackles from the Hoosier defense. The Hoosiers spent minimal time working on live tackles during fall camp and don’t plan to do so during the season, but Allen gave points as to how the team can improve during the season.

[RELATED: Indiana football defeats Illinois 23-20 for first Big Ten win since 2020]

“Not taking away from (Illinois’ offensive players), but we will not tackle more in practice live,” Allen said. “What we will do is attempt to recreate it by doing drills like leg drive drills.”

Allen said University of Miami transfer senior Bradley Jennings Jr.’s defensive presence jumped out and was felt throughout the whole game. 

“His surge to the ball, burst to the ball,” Allen said about Jennings's talent. “He’s a powerful kid, but I’ll tell you what — he’s a really good kid who loves football.”

[RELATED: Walt Bell's 'Hurryin' Hoosiers' offense explosive, but one dimensional for Indiana football]

As the season continues, Jennings and the Hoosier defense’s tackling performances will be a point of interest on a week-to-week basis for both Allen and his staff, as well as eager Indiana fans.

The Hoosiers will take on the University of Idaho at 8 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium.