Josef Newgarden, Pato O’Ward split weekend Iowa races

spindycarecap072422.jpg

Team Penske driver Josef Newgarden and Arrow McLaren SP driver Pato O’Ward both earned wins in the Iowa IndyCar series this weekend. Newgarden won the Hy-VeeDeals.com 250 on Saturday, and O’Ward won the Hy-Vee Salute to Farmers 300 on Sunday.

Newgarden led for 208 laps in Saturday’s race, but he wrecked in race two while in the lead. O’Ward’s win on Sunday came after a second place finish in Saturday’s race. His success in Iowa pushes him up to fifth in the championship with 367 points.

Outside of the race winners, Chip Ganassi Racing driver and seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson had a career-high IndyCar finish at fifth place in Sunday’s race. He placed eleventh in the first race of the weekend.

Team Penske driver Will Power earned two podiums over the weekend and started both races from the pole position. Of the current field, Power has the most all-time pole positions with 66 and is close to checking another box on his impressive career as he is only one away from tying Mario Andretti’s all-time record of 67.

Chip Ganassi Racing driver Marcus Ericsson leads all IndyCar series drivers with 403 points, but Power is close behind with 395. Newgarden and Chip Ganassi Racing driver Scott Dixon are also edging closer to the top of the pack, as they’re both tied for third with 369 points.

The drivers will return to Indianapolis next weekend for the first time since May to compete in the Gallagher Grand Prix at noon on July 30. The grand prix is part of a big race weekend in Indianapolis, as the NASCAR Cup Series will also compete next weekend in Indy on July 31 in the Verizon 200 at the Brickyard. 

Both IndyCar and NASCAR will drive on the road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.