sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer schedule highlighted by 10 conference, 12 home contests

spiuwspreview071422.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer is set to begin the 2022 fall regular season, consisting of 20 total matches, a month from Monday. Head coach Erwin van Bennekom announced the schedule back in April: here is the breakdown. 

Indiana’s regular season will begin Thursday, August 18 on the road, playing West Virginia University, and will conclude in Ann Arbor on Sunday, October 23, playing Michigan. The game against West Virginia is set for the Thursday before Indiana’s fall semester begins on Monday, August 22.

Before then, Indiana has two exhibition games — both at home. The Miami University RedHawks play the Hoosiers on Saturday, August 6. A week later, Big Ten opponent Northwestern, will come to Bloomington.

In total, Indiana has eight nonconference games on its schedule followed by ten matches in Big Ten play. Half of those conference matches will be played at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

After beginning the season in Morgantown, West Virginia, Indiana will travel to Blacksburg, Virginia to play Virginia Tech University three days later. The final game in August will be the Hoosiers’ home opener against Ball State University on Thursday, August 25, the beginning of a three-match homestand and a stretch of six home matches in a seven game span.

September will be Indiana’s busiest month with nine total matches, beginning with two at home against Indiana State University and the University of Notre Dame. The Hoosiers and Fighting Irish met last August in South Bend, Indiana, playing to a 0-0 tie — the first time in 12 matchups that Indiana did not record a loss against Notre Dame. 

The final road nonconference match will see Indiana travel to Louisville, Kentucky to take on the University of Louisville on Thursday, September 8. The final two nonconference opponents are the University of Memphis and Trine University, a D3 school that competes in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Indiana will host Memphis on September 11 and Trine three evenings after.

Big Ten play will then begin for the Hoosiers, beginning with Penn State at home on September 18. Trips to Minneapolis, Minnesota and Madison, Wisconsin follow before a home tilt with the Ohio State Buckeyes closes out the September slate.

Indiana will play six conference games in October, with trips to Rutgers and Michigan State beginning the final month of the regular season. Indiana will host Purdue and Maryland in its final home games of the regular season before ending that slate in Ann Arbor.

Indiana finished last season with a record of 9-5-4 and 3-4-3 in conference play for a total of 12 points. The Hoosiers finished ninth in the conference, just missing out on the Big Ten and the NCAA Tournaments. Indiana’s three wins in Big Ten play in 2021 came against the three teams that Indiana does not have on its official 2022 regular season schedule — Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern.