Graduate school dean steps down to focus on diversity at IU 

James Wimbush, the dean of the University Graduate School at IU, is stepping down fto focus on his role as vice president of Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, according to an IU press release. IU President Pamela Whitten announced his role will be split between two separate deans, one that will oversee IU Bloomington and one for IU-Purdue University Indianapolis.

James Wimbush, dean of the University Graduate School at IU, is stepping down from the position to focus on his role as vice president of Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, according to an IU press release

IU President Pamela Whitten announced the University Graduate school will be led by two separate deans representing IU Bloomington and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, starting Aug. 15. David Daleke, vice provost for Graduate Education and Health Sciences and associate dean of the University Graduate School, will serve as interim dean for IU Bloomington. Janice Blum, vice chancellor for Research and Graduate Education and associate dean of the University Graduate School at IUPUI, will be the interim dean of the IUPUI Graduate School. 

The announcement comes just after Wimbush’s meeting with the Indiana Graduate Worker Coalition on July 20, where IU’s graduate task force discussed their recommendations. The recommendations will be released by the end of the month. 

Whitten said in the release that the change would increase service and support of graduate students on all campuses. 

Provost Rahul Shrivastav will share information about a permanent dean for the school soon.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.