sports golf

Indiana men’s golf program hires Tyler Schmutz as assistant coach

spiumgbrief063020.jpg

Indiana men’s golf announced Thursday morning that Tyler Schmutz will serve as an assistant coach under head coach Mike Mayer. Schmutz was previously an assistant at Maryland, which finished third in the Big Ten Championships last season.

“First and foremost, I’d like to thank Coach Mayer for the opportunity to join his staff,” Schmutz said in an IU release. “Coaching in the Big Ten against him and his team allowed me to see firsthand how great of a coach he is. I look forward to joining his staff and doing everything I can to help the team win.”

Mayer said at the end of last season that one of his priorities for the offseason was to find a new assistant, given that previous assistant Corey Ziedonis left the program.

“We are thrilled to have Tyler as our next assistant men’s golf coach,” Mayer said in the release. “He checked all the boxes we were looking for and is a perfect fit for both me and Indiana University.”

Prior to his time at Maryland, Schmutz was the head coach at Wabash College, an Indiana college in the North Coast Athletic Conference, for two seasons. Under his leadership, the Little Giants broke the team scoring record in his first season, followed by a fourth place finish in the conference in 2021 — its best finish in 12 years.

Schmutz graduated from Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Alabama, in 2014 after earning Cleveland Golf Srixon Scholar All-America honors while attending Parkland College in Champaign, Illinois. His first experience in coaching was at Regis University — a DII school in Denver — from 2017-2019, where he earned a Masters of Science degree in organizational leadership in May 2019.

“(Schmutz’s) experience both at the DI and DII levels will be invaluable to us,” Mayer said in the release. “He is going to hit the ground running and will spend the rest of the summer evaluating prospects at tournaments around the country.”