sports baseball

Record-breaking three Indiana baseball players awarded Freshman All-America honors

spiubasebrief060822.jpg

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper awarded a program-record three Indiana baseball players — Josh Pyne, Brock Tibbitts and Carter Mathison — with Freshman All-America honors, Indiana athletics announced Wednesday.  

Indiana joined nationally-ranked programs Oregon State, UCLA and Tennessee in having three or more players named to the publication's 2022 Freshman All-America team. 

Pyne, Tibbitts and Mathison were named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team in May. They are the first freshman trio in program history to each drive in 40 or more runs in the same season. 

Mathison broke Indiana’s freshman home run record with 19, which also ranks second all-time among conference freshmen in a single season. Mathison also had the most runs batted in among conference freshmen this season with 58, tying Indiana's freshman RBI record set in 1988 by Phil Dauphin. 

Pyne's .327 batting average ranked second among Big Ten freshmen this season and his 57 RBIs ranked him seventh among freshmen in the nation. Pyne also became the sixth Hoosier freshman to record 70 or more hits. 

Mathison and Pyne were the first freshmen to lead the team in home runs and hits respectively, since Sam Travis led the team in both categories in 2012. 

Tibbitts was one home run shy of becoming the fifth Hoosier freshman to hit 10 home runs in a single season. His 43 RBIs this season placed him 12th among Indiana freshmen all-time.