opinion letters

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: Where things stand regarding ‘Dissonance in Due Process’

letterfromtheeditor.jpg

On Jan. 27, the Indiana Daily Student released an investigation that chronicled the findings of six months worth of reporting regarding sexual assault findings against IU jazz student Chris Parker. 

Cate Charron, IDS reporter and managing editor of digital, detailed the ripple effect caused by IU’s and the Jacobs School Music’s actions, or lack thereof, to IU alumna Shailey Ostland’s Title IX case against Parker. IU found Parker responsible for sexually assaulting Ostland on Halloween in 2015. 

The IDS requested Chris Parker’s disciplinary record Sept. 14, 2021, through an open records request, which the university denied. The IDS was notified Jan. 31, 2022, that the opinion of the Indiana Public Access Counselor found that IU violated public access laws by denying the request. As of Feb. 2, IU has yet to respond on whether they will release the requested records. 

Since publishing “Dissonance in due process,” the Jacobs School of Music has held a town hall for Jacobs students to discuss the IDS investigation. Students expressed they felt angry after the meeting and said their questions or concerns regarding the specifics of Parker’s case were not addressed. 

This is not the first time the IDS has published an investigation regarding sexual assault. In 2020, the IDS reported on sexual assault findings against past IU professor Murray McGibbon. In 2019 the IDS reported on the suspension of David Jang, a graduate conducting student, after he was accused of abuses of power and sexual misconduct towards male students. 

The IDS will continue to be transparent on our reporting processes and how we gather information. We are devoted to telling these stories accurately and fairly and will continue to do so. 

For now, if you have any additional information, questions or concerns please email me at editor@idsnews.com. We will continue to publish follow-ups and provide coverage of this important series of events.