arts music

Punk rock band Sweeping Promises to perform at The Bishop Thursday

entsweeping022122.jpeg

Sweeping Promises, a punk rock band, will perform at The Bishop Bar at 9:30 p.m. on Thursday. Adults 18 years and older may attend. Tickets are $12 and can be purchased at the venue’s website.  

The duo, Lira Mondal and Caufield Schnug, first started making music in Arkansas. When they relocated to Boston, they started multiple underground bands on the East Coast, according to the venue’s website. 

The band originates from a reverberant and disused concrete laboratory in Cambridge, Massachusetts, according to the venue’s website.

Sweeping Promises’s debut album, “Hunger for a Way Out,” was released in 2020. The venue’s website said the album was tracked with a single-mic technique, eliminating some of the electronic representation of sound. 

Their newest single, “Pain Without a Touch,” is a subtle reinvention but intensifies their energy, NPR writer Lars Gotrich said.

Related: [COLUMN: Beach House’s ‘Once Twice Melody’ is an atmospheric reverie of dream pop noise]

According to the venue’s website, Sam Richardson, label head of Virginia’s Feel It Records, said there is a synth sound and pop appeal in their music.

“Angular guitars and sharp synth notes float atop a raw rhythm section, while Lira Mondal's effervescent vocals truly define Sweeping Promises' sound,” Richardson said.

Attendees must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination and wear masks at the venue.