arts music review

COLUMN: Beach House’s ‘Once Twice Melody’ is an atmospheric reverie of dream pop noise

entbeachhouse022122_2.jpg

After seven albums of neo-psychedelia overflowing with melancholy and sorrow, it seemed like Beach House was stuck in a rut of making the same music over and over again. In “Once Twice Melody,” the indie superduo proved they still have room to evolve. 

Lead singer and multi-instrumentalist Victoria Legrand worked with guitarist Alex Scally to produce the new album, which was released on Feb. 18. Like previous Beach House albums, “Once Twice Melody” showcases an impressive tracklist full of shoegaze and reflection. 

The eighth studio album introduces a new, innovative sound for veterans of indie music. In previous projects, Beach House christened its listeners with the electric guitar, implementing slides and repetitive riffs in almost every song. 

In “Once Twice Melody,” synthesizers, powerful drums and the slight twang of an acoustic guitar accompany a catalog of image-driven lyrics on all 18 tracks. 

However, one thing that hasn’t changed is Legrand’s subtle yet effervescent vocal delivery. Her characteristic voice is reminiscent of the breathy, serene tones of Nico from The Velvet Underground and Nico project. Legrand’s ability to pull passion from within is present throughout the entire album. 

Related: [Punk rock band Sweeping Promises to perform at The Bishop Thursday]

In pure Beach House fashion, “Once Twice Melody” starts in a state of sad contemplation. Lightly plucked strings put listeners into a euphoric trance on tracks like “Pink Funeral” and “Through Me.”  

Although the music of Beach House is defined by its dense production style, the lyricism on the new album is so poignant that it’s difficult to stomach for long periods of time. 

The track “Superstar” tells listeners about the beauty in feeling painfully distraught after a relationship is over. With this album, there is a sense of security in being aware of your emotions and how you feel. 

As “Once Twice Melody” progresses, a shift in perspective occurs. When the sadness fades away, Beach House looks at the world with a rose-colored lens. On “ESP,” the haunting keys of a piano tell listeners there is catharsis in shared pain.

On “Sunset,” picturesque imagery lurks behind the strumming of a watery, acoustic guitar. Legrand croons about the beauty of lilac, lilies and anemone flowers. On most tracks of the album, the lyrics underscore an appreciation for the simple things in life. 

The positive attitude of “Once Twice Melody” is a refreshing contrast to previous Beach House albums like “Depression Cherry” and “Bloom.” 

Related: [Street Pennies played crowd favorites on The Bluebird’s stage]

This album even features a newer sound for the dream pop duo on “Masquerade.” With this track, chilling reverberations and hip-hop infused drum beats blast through soundwaves as lyrics talk about a young, mysterious, seductress. 

When the album nears its end, it feels like things are just getting good. On “The Bells,” Beach House finds itself recreating an echoey, country-infused love song. This romantic quality continues on the last track, “Modern Love Stories,” where synthesized strings and airy vocals sweeten the album.

It is undeniable that Beach House asserts itself as a force to be reckoned with on “Once Twice Melody.” With this new sound, listeners can dissolve into a stratosphere of pure bliss and enchantment.