New COVID-19 guidelines allow instructors, presenters to unmask if social distancing

<p>Junior Corbin Dubois looks at his computer during a class on Oct. 21, 2021, in Franklin Hall. Instructors and presenters can now unmask while social distancing in the classroom.</p>

Junior Corbin Dubois looks at his computer during a class on Oct. 21, 2021, in Franklin Hall. Instructors and presenters can now unmask while social distancing in the classroom.

IU instructors and presenters are not required to wear masks in classrooms as long as they are social distancing, according to new IU COVID-19 guidelines. Lecturers could unmask during the fall semester while social distancing, but the university reverted back to masking for everyone in the classroom at the beginning of this semester. 

“Instructors had sought this flexibility in the fall semester, which we granted until a surge of cases warranted what we indicated then was a time-limited change,” IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email to the Indiana Daily Student.

Carney said this change applies to all IU campuses. The university made the change because COVID-19 case numbers have dropped across campuses, he said.

Related: [IU-Bloomington reports 69 cases this week, marking second week of drop in cases]

About 95% of students are vaccinated at IU-Bloomington, and student masking will continue in classrooms unless they are presenting while social distancing.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.