Four Indiana swimmers and divers receive Big Ten weekly awards

spiusdawards011922-jpg

Four athletes in the Indiana Swim and Dive program received weekly awards from the Big Ten  Wednesday, according to an IU Athletics release.

Junior Brendan Burns won Men’s Swimmer of the Week after winning both the 100-yard and 200-yard butterfly by significant margins Jan 14 against Louisville. His times placed him firmly in the nationwide top ten at eighth in the 100-yard butterfly and second in the 200-yard butterfly. 

Burn’s freshmen teammates Carson Tyler and Rafael Miroslaw won the Men’s Diver of the Week and Men’s Freshman of the Week awards respectively. Tyler swept both the meter and 3-meter diving events and Miroslaw won the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle races. Miroslaw also took part in Indiana’s first place 400-yard freestyle relay to top off his day against Louisville.

Tyler also attained his season-best day in the 1-meter dive, with a score of 411.83, to win the event by over 46 points. In the 3-meter dive, he narrowly defeated Louisville’s Daniel Pinto with a score of 387.60, winning the event. Tyler’s times place him nationally in both events.

Senior Kristen Hayden also won Women’s Diver of the Week, marking her first time receiving the award since 2018. Hayden set a career best from the 1-meter board, finishing with a score of 319.50. She also won the 3-meter dive with a score of 362.10. Both results were NCAA Zone Qualifying marks.

The Indiana Swim and Dive team will jump back into the pool to face off with Purdue Jan. 22.