Total sexual assault reports surpass 2020 as of Dec. 1

<p>Students march on Nov. 19, 2021, along North Jordan Avenue in support of survivors of sexual assault.</p>

Students march on Nov. 19, 2021, along North Jordan Avenue in support of survivors of sexual assault.

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence.

November has had the lowest number of sexual assault cases, with one rape occurring on Nov. 5 in comparison to August, September and October, according to the IU Police Department crime log. Since the beginning of August, there have been constant reports of sexual assault throughout IU’s fall 2021 semester. 

A total of 31 sexual assaults were reported this semester as of Dec. 1, according to the crime log. This is an increase from 2020, where there were 29 sexual assaults in total for the entire year, according to The Herald Times.

In August, there were a total of 10 sexual assaults. These assaults consisted of seven rapes and three sexual batteries. Most of the assaults occurred in a residence hall, with one reportedly occurring at a fraternity, according to the crime log. Not all locations are reported. 

UPDATED: August sexual assault at Eigenmann Hall reported to IUPD

September had the highest amount of sexual assaults with 13 this semester. There were 10 rapes and three sexual batteries. Most of these assaults also occurred in a residence hall, according to the crime log. 

In October, there were seven assaults, includinge three rapes and four sexual batteries. On Halloween, there were two assaults originating from the fraternity Phi Kappa Psi, according to the crime log. 

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.