PHOTOS: Indiana’s Marching Hundred prepares for last 2021 home football game

phmarchinghundred111821_6.jpeg

phmarchinghundred111821_1.jpeg
Marching Hundred member Winston Snyder plays "Mr. Brightside" with the band Nov. 8, 2021, in the parking lot behind Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The Marching Hundred has around 300 members, all learning a new show for every game according to the Marching Hundred Instagram. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_2.jpeg
Members practice "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers on Nov. 8 2021. The band played the "Armed Forces Medley" during their halftime show at the Indiana football game against Rutgers on Nov. 30 for Veterans Day. "Mr. Brightside" will be part of the band's show for the last home game of the season on Nov. 20. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_3.jpeg
Marching Hundred members play in a star formation while practicing their Veterans Day show Nov. 8, 2021. The band arranged in two stars with the drumline and sousaphones between them. Throughout the show, they formed designs for each of the U.S. Military branches during their respective anthems. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_4.jpeg
The Marching Hundred is arranged in an anchor shape while playing the U.S. Coast Guard's anthem on Nov 10, 2021. A big part of marching band is the designs they make on the field, which requires effort and skill to get the right place and having “close to 300 members can be a little tricky when learning new drill and placements on the field,” senior year mellophone Alex Boden said. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_5.jpeg
Members of the Marching Hundred sousaphone section play in the concert arch Nov. 8, 2021. The band sets up in the concert arch at least 15 minutes every practice. “The concert arches we make are the easiest way to rehearse music with the full ensemble. Each arch is arranged by instrument,” Boden said. This helps the staff hear each instrument section more clearly than they can while practicing drill. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_7.jpeg
A member in the trumpet section plays music for the upcoming show in the concert arch Nov 10, 2021. Music is given to members well in advance so they have time to practice the piece before rehearsals. Members aren't allowed to have their music with them during the show on game day, so they have to memorize beforehand. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_8.jpeg
Marching Hundred snare drum players dance around each during a warm up exercise Nov. 11 2021. The drumline warmed up without stopping between exercises during sectionals. As part of the warm up, each of the drumline sections danced as they played. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_9.jpeg
The Marching Hundred trumpet section takes a break during sectional practices Nov. 11, 2021. This was the last practice before the Nov. 13 football game, and most of the trumpet section showed up wearing pajama pants. The band rehearses every day for an hour and a half, according to its website. Weston Kilgore
phmarchinghundred111821_10.jpeg
Members of the Marching Hundred play at the last practice of the week on the field behind Memorial Stadium on Nov. 11. 2021. During the week, the Hundred had two less practices than they normally would because of basketball games. After the football season is over, there are “lots of other musical opportunities students take up with a lot of students joining the Big Red Basketball Band or All-Campus Band” Boden said. Weston Kilgore