sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball beats Rutgers 3-2 Sunday in Wilkinson Hall

spiuvb102421.jpg

Rutgers called a timeout late in the fifth set against Indiana volleyball, it held a one-point advantage and only needed two more to win the match. Wilkinson Hall buzzed with excitement from Indiana fans as they awaited the action to resume.

Following the timeout, senior Breana Edwards scored three points, leading Indiana to win the final set 15-13 and take the game 3-2.Throughout the match Edwards had 27 kills and four blocks.

“Bri was exceptionally good and very very clutch when we needed her,” head coach Steve Aird said.

Indiana began set one with sophomore outside hitter Morgan Geddes scoring the opening point and junior Haley Armstrong added a service ace. Kills by freshman Mady Seris and junior Kaley Rammelsberg gave Indiana a 7-2 lead.

Rutgers came back three times, tying the score 12-12, 15-15 and 18-18. 

Several kills by Edwards and a service ace by freshman Camryn Haworth brought the first set to game point with Indiana up 24-20 before a service error by Rutgers ended set one, with Indiana winning 25-20.

“I can certainly appreciate the fact that Rutgers played hard from the first whistle to the last whistle,” Aird said. “It's a team with a lot of veteran kids, who although the record would indicate they haven't had a ton of success, that's a really good volleyball team and I'm fortunate to find a way to win.”

Indiana took the lead in the start of set two with a block and another ace by Haworth, but Rutgers won the set with a score of 25-21. 

Indiana held the lead in the first half of set three, but Rutgers tied the score at 12-12 and Aird called a timeout. After an exchange of points, the score was tied again at 22-22 before Rutgers took the set 25-23.

Indiana won set four 25-20, capped off with kills by Haworth and Edwards. Aird said he saw strong plays by junior Paula Cerame and sophomore Savannah Kjolhedein late in the game as well.

“I thought Paula served the ball really well late and Sav had an ace late,” Aird said. “Between the two of them they missed seven serves in the match and that's unlike them. They're pretty good servers so 13 service errors is way too many in a match.”

Indiana last beat Rutgers 3-0 on Oct. 8 and Aird said this time around Rutgers served and passed better, leading this game into five sets.

“We’re two programs working hard to become more relevant in the conference and I tip my cap to them,” Aird said. “I thought we got fortunate and made some plays late in the game.”

After their second win over Rutgers, Indiana now has a 3-7 conference record. Next up, Indiana will play Minnesota at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Wilkinson Hall.