Donation efforts for Afghan evacuees open around Indiana

<p>Afghan evacuees arrive in Indianapolis Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021, as 1st Cavalry Division soldiers watch. Camp Atterbury has served as a temporary shelter for Afghan evacuees since the U.S. withdrew its forces from Afghanistan on Aug. 30.</p>

Afghan evacuees arrive in Indianapolis Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021, as 1st Cavalry Division soldiers watch. Camp Atterbury has served as a temporary shelter for Afghan evacuees since the U.S. withdrew its forces from Afghanistan on Aug. 30.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb announced Thursday the Indiana National Guard is accepting donations for Afghan refugees temporarily housed at Camp Atterbury, according to a press release from the Indiana State Government. 

Camp Atterbury has served as a temporary shelter for Afghan evacuees since the U.S. withdrew its forces from Afghanistan on Aug. 30. The camp, located 40 miles northeast of Bloomington, began accepting Afghan refugees Sept. 2, according to a report from WFYI.

Holcomb said the efforts of Indiana residents donating to the Afghan cause were overwhelming in the press release.

“Hoosiers have overwhelmingly responded to the needs of the Afghan evacuees and asked to help these men, women, children and families as they arrive in the United States,” 

Nine Indiana National Guard armories will act as collection sites for donations. According to the release, donations will be accepted 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, beginning Monday, Sept. 20.

The armories are accepting donations of modest, unbranded clothing for men and women, children’s clothing, powdered baby formula, socks, hats and shoes for all ages. The listed items are of the most need, according to the release.

Donation sites include:

• Evansville:  3300 E. Division St.

• Greenfield:  410 Apple St.

• Rockville:  224 W. Strawberry Road

• Danville:  1245 E. Main St.

• Muncie:  401 N. Country Club Road

• Indianapolis:  Kessler-Moore Readiness Center, 2625 W. Kessler Blvd. North Drive

• Fort Wayne:  130 W. Cook Road

• South Bend:  1901 Kemble Ave.

• New Albany:  2909 Grant Line Road

“We are proud to do our part in helping those who have helped the United States and provide an organized collection effort to expedite getting the supplies to those who need them,” Holcomb said in the release.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments