NCAA announces new COVID-19 protocol guidelines for fall 2021 season

spncaa080421.jpg

The NCAA released guidelines for returning to play in the fall semester Wednesday regarding Tier 1 individuals. Tier 1 individuals are those with the highest risk of exposure, including athletes, coaches, trainers, medical staff and officials. 

The NCAA suggests that universities develop their own protocols for the season that follow local and federal government guidelines. The document states that the NCAA attempts to subsidize the existing guidelines, rather than replace them.

Any individual who tests positive will need to quarantine for 10 days or until symptoms go away.

The document states that individuals who are fully vaccinated or have had COVID-19 within the last 90 days do not need to undergo testing unless they are symptomatic.

For individuals not vaccinated, the NCAA recommends testing upon arrival to campus, weekly testing if community spread is considered substantial or high and regular testing during the season.

The document also states that if a team of more than 50 players has more than 5% of players testing positive, symptomatic or close contact individuals should be tested even if they are vaccinated.

Tier 1 individuals who are not vaccinated will have to quarantine if they are deemed close contact, while vaccinated individuals will only need to wear a mask indoors for two weeks if they test negative or are deemed low risk.

Vaccinated individuals only need to wear masks indoors or during team travel. Unvaccinated individuals are recommended to wear masks at all times.