Monroe County History Center hires Daniel Schlegel, Jr. as director

The Monroe County History Center is located on East Sixth Street. MCHC announced the hiring of its new director, Daniel Schlegel, Jr. on Tuesday.

The Monroe County History Center announced the arrival of a new director, Daniel Schlegel, Jr. as director in a press release Tuesday, with Schlegel stepping into the role immediately.

“Monroe County’s History Center grows in capacity and reach every year. We are confident

this trend will continue with the leadership of our new, yet experienced Director,” MCHC Board of Trustees President Phil Stafford said in the release.

Schlegel earned a bachelor's degree in history and anthropology at Kent State University, and earned a master’s degree in public history from Wright State University. Schlegel’s previous experience includes serving as executive director of the Scurry County Museum in Snyder, Texas. Most recently, he served as director of operations at the Colorado School of Mines Museum of Earth Science in Golden, Colorado, according to the release.

The center is hosting the opening reception for its newest exhibit, “Monroe: a County of Cultures” at 5:30 p.m. Friday, and admission is free to the public. Those who attend the reception will have a chance to greet Schlegel.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.