IU announces Name, Image and Likeness policy, will go into effect July 1

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Michael Penix Jr. holds the ball Oct. 24, 2020, in Memorial Stadium. IU announced its Name, Image and Likeness policies in a press release Wednesday.

IU released its Name, Image and Likeness policy in a press release Wednesday to guide athletes in NIL opportunities following an interim policy being adopted by the NCAA that allows athletes to make money based on their NIL.

The policy will go into effect on July 1.

“Dating back to the creation of the IU Athletics NIL Task Force last August, our department has been laser-focused on being at the forefront when it comes to preparing for and supporting our students' NIL opportunities when this day arrived,” IU athletic director Scott Dolson said in the release. “Now that it is here, this comprehensive policy is our latest step and provides a roadmap for our students to maximize their opportunities while also protecting their eligibility to compete in intercollegiate athletics.”

The policy states that IU athletes can use their NIL to promote their own business, to promote other business, conduct camps, make appearances or sign autographs and receive compensation. 

Athletes can also obtain an agent to help with NIL deals.

Athletes will not be allowed to use the IU logo to endorse a product or company but will be allowed to autograph and sell merchandise with the IU logo on them.

NCAA rules prohibit players to receive compensation for playing collegiate sports or for receiving money for recruitment.

According to the release, IU’s policy will also restrict athletes from endorsing gambling, alcohol, tobacco, adult entertainment, banned substances or illegal products and services.

All NIL activities must be reported to IU within 10 days of the event.

IU athletes can be contacted by their social media accounts or through Opendorse.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments