NCAA approves policy for athletes to earn money for their name, image and likeness

spnil063021-jpg

The NCAA adopted an interim set of rules Wednesday allowing collegiate athletes across the country to earn money for their Name, Image and Likeness.

The policy will be in place until federal legislation is passed or the NCAA adopts new rules.

The policy, which would suspend amateurism rules in collegiate athletics related to NIL, provided a set of rules for schools and athletes to follow.

“Student-athletes who attend a school in a state without a NIL law can engage in this type of activity without violating NCAA rules related to name, image and likeness,” the NCAA said in a press release.

The new rules will benefit IU, since Indiana had not begun working on legislation for a NIL bill. Under the policy, IU will be allowed to adapt its own policy.

Athletes are allowed to use a professional service provider and will be required to report NIL activities to their school.

IU is partnered with Opendorse Ready, a NIL program to help athletes understand their value.

Associate Athletic Director Jeremy Gray told the IDS that IU was one of the first schools in the country with a NIL taskforce and to partner with Opendorse Ready.

The policy was adopted prior to July 1, when seven states are set to begin their own NIL laws. Athletes in those states will follow the state laws.