sports women's basketball men's soccer swimming & diving

Berger, Bezerra, Capobianco named IU Athletes of the Year on Thursday

spathletes071521(1).jpg

IU named women’s basketball senior Grace Berger, men’s soccer junior Victor Bezerra and men’s diving senior Andrew Capobianco its 2020-21 athletes of the year Thursday.

"Congratulations to Grace, Victor and Andrew for not only their remarkable individual efforts this season, but also for leading their respective programs to tremendous team success at the NCAA level," Athletic Director Scott Dolson said in a press release. "Each has already placed themselves among the very best that their programs have ever produced, and with all three set to return, I'm excited to see them continue to do great things in 2021-22."

Berger led IU to its first ever Elite Eight appearance in the NCAA Tournament. She averaged 15.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists and shot 44.1% from the field. Her three triple-doubles led the NCAA. The Hoosiers finished with a 21-6 record and were second in the Big Ten. 

Berger was a Women’s Basketball Coaches Association All-American Honorable Mention and was named to the United States AmeriCup roster, which won gold

Bezerra was a runner-up for the MAC Hermann trophy, given annually to the best player in collegiate soccer. His 12 goals were the most by a Hoosier since 2012 and helped IU reach the College Cup final, where it lost to Marshall University

Bezerra was the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and was named the Offensive Player of the Tournament after scoring five goals in IU’s three games, setting a program record. Bezerra was also a United Soccer Coaches All-America First Team selection.

Capobianco defended his NCAA 3-meter dive championship and finished fourth in 1-meter springboard in 2021. He has earned All-American honors seven times in his three years competing with IU.

Capobianco will join Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics after earning spots on the 3-meter springboard and 3-meter synchro teams.