sports swimming & diving

IU has twelve athletes qualify for Olympics in swimming, diving events

spiuswim062321-jpg

The IU men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs will send 12 current and former collegiate athletes to the 2020 Olympics. This is the second consecutive Olympics with at least eleven Hoosiers qualifying for swimming and diving events.

Two-time gold medalist Lilly King will swim in both the 100-meter and 200-meter breaststroke events. King received a gold medal in the 100-meter breaststroke while placing 12th in the 200-meter at the Olympic Games Rio 2016. She received her second gold medal in the women’s 4 x 100-meter medley relay in 2016, where she swam the breastroke leg of the relay.

Annie Lazor will also swim the 200-meter breaststroke, qualifying with a second-place finish at the Olympic trials behind King. Lazor graduated from Auburn in 2016, but became King’s training partner in April of 2018.

Zach Apple, a 2019 graduate, qualified for the 100-meter freestyle event. Apple will also swim in the 400-meter freestyle relay with 2018 graduate Blake Pieroni. Pieroni has a gold medal in the 400-meter freestyle relay from the 2016 games.

Redshirt senior Andrew Capobianco will compete with partner and 2018 graduate Mike Hixon in the men’s 3-meter springboard synchronized diving event. This is Capobianco’s first time as an Olympian, while Hixon has a silver medal in the event from 2016. The pair won the competition at the Olympic trials on Friday night by 120.57 points.

Capobianco will also individually compete in the 3-meter springboard event.

Redshirt junior Michael Brinegar qualified in two events, the 800-meter freestyle and the 1,500-meter freestyle. Marwan Elkamash, who is a 2017 graduate and native of Egypt, joins him in the 800-meter freestyle while representing Egypt.

Tomer Frankel, a sophomore, will represent Israel at the games in the 100-meter butterfly event. His time of 51.81 at the Israel Olympic Trials was a lifetime best and broke the Israeli national record while making it under the Olympic A standard.

Vini Lanza will swim the 200-meter individual medley while representing Brazil. Lanza graduated from IU in 2019.

Jessica Parratto qualified for the synchronized 10-meter platform event with partner Delaney Schnell. Parratto placed seventh in the event at the 2016 Olympics with Amy Cozad and tenth in the individual 10-meter platform dive. She graduated from IU in 2019.

Bailey Andison, a 2018 graduate, will swim in the 200-meter individual medley. Andison is a first-time Olympian and will represent Team Canada. 

IU head coach Ray Looze and head diving coach Drew Johansen will also join Team USA. Looze was selected as the assistant coach on Sunday, while it was announced on Monday that Johansen would be the head diving coach. Both Looze and Johansen were on the U.S. Olympic coaching staff at the 2016 Olympics.

The 2020 Olympic Games begin July 23 in Tokyo, Japan.