Are you an IU grad? Here’s how to vote in the Board of Trustees election

casamplegates060121

IU graduates can vote for two members of the Board of Trustees for 2021. The election opened June 1 and closes June 30 at 10 a.m. Eastern Time, according to the IU Alumni Association’s website.

The 2020 trustee election was canceled due to the pandemic. This year two trustees will be elected by alumni. The candidate with the most votes will serve a normal three-year term. The candidate with the next highest number of votes will serve an abbreviated two-year term.

Nine candidates are listed on the IUAA website with descriptions of what the candidates background and goals are. 

The Board of Trustees, IU’s governing body,  has nine members. Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb appoints six while IU alumni elect the other three. All trustees typically serve a three-year term, except for the student trustee who serves two years. 

The Board of Trustees determines the tuition and fee costs of attending IU and also addresses policies, budgets, faculty tenure and promotion, capital improvements and the conferral of degrees, according to their website.

Graduates can vote online or request a paper ballot. To vote online, graduates will have to authenticate themselves with their name, date of birth and either the last four digits of their Social Security number, their alumni ID or university ID.

For a paper ballot, IU graduates should contact Amy Cope, the alumni trustee election coordinator, at truselec@indiana.edu or 812-855-6610. Any graduates who have voted by paper ballot in the three prior trustee elections will have received a ballot June 1, according to the IU Alumni Association. If mailing a paper ballot, graduates should sign the envelope, otherwise the ballot will be declared void.