student govt

IUSG election voting opens Thursday, available until Friday night

caiusg040121.jpg

Voting for the IU Student Government election opened Thursday morning and will end at 10 p.m. Friday. 

Students can read statements from the three competing tickets and cast their votes on BeInvolved. 

Three tickets are competing for executive office: Elevate, Inspire and Legacy. In the weeks leading up to the election, the candidates participated in a town hall and a debate where they discussed topics including sustainability, mental health and diversity.

Elevate presidential candidate and junior Ky Freeman is president of the Black Student Union, while vice presidential candidate and junior Madeline Dederichs serves as an IUSG representative for off-campus housing. 

Juniors Dorynn Mentor and Carling Louden are running for president and vice president on the Inspire ticket, with Mentor currently acting as IUSG director of health & wellbeing and Louden working as IUSG deputy director of city relations. 

The Legacy ticket includes two juniors: presidential candidate Carrick Moon, founder of the IU Queer Student Union, and vice-presidential candidate Shibani Mody.

Both Elevate and Inspire have faced controversy.

In an appeal to the IUSG Supreme Court, Inspire said it received a tip claiming Elevate did not receive the 150 signatures necessary to be listed on the ballot. Inspire never filed a formal election complaint with the IUSG Election Commission, therefore the court cannot review the dispute. 

Inspire’s Louden faced criticism in a letter to the editor written by four IUSG Congress members. The authors of the letter condemned Louden for opposing an IUSG congressional bill allocating additional seats for multicultural organizations.