Tom Allen, IU agree to restructured contract with average salary of $4.9 million

spiufbbrief030821.jpg

IU and head football coach Tom Allen agreed to a restructured contract that will raise his average annual salary from $3.9 million to $4.9 million through the 2027 season, the university announced in a press release Monday. 

"Tom Allen has proven himself to be not only the right person for our student-athletes and our program, but one of the best football coaches in the country," Athletics Director Scott Dolson said in a press release. "The enthusiasm and outlook for our program is at an all-time high, and the future of Indiana Football is in great hands. I look forward to Tom leading our program for many years to come.”

[Related: Read our IU football coverage here]

Allen was named the American Football Coaches Association National Coach of the Year and Big Ten Coach of the Year for the 2020 season after the Hoosiers finished 6-1 in the regular season, losing to the University of Mississippi in the Outback Bowl. IU played in back-to-back January bowl games for the first time in school history in 2019 and 2020.

[Related: What’s Tom Allen worth?]

Allen signed a seven-year contract extension following the 2019 regular season with an average annual salary of $3.9 million after finishing 8-4, before losing to the University of Tennessee in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl. An additional year was added due to the team’s Outback Bowl appearance, and a year will be added to Allen’s contract for every season IU makes a bowl game.

"I would like to thank Scott Dolson, President McRobbie and the Board of Trustees for their support and investment into our football program and our staff," Allen said in a press release. "I'm excited about what we are building here and how we are building it. Having said that, we have unfinished business that we will continue to chase after every single day. LEO!"